Part Time Position at Street Plans SF
The Street Plans Collaborative is seeking a part-time employee in our small but growing San Francisco office to assist with a variety of projects focused on active transportation, placemaking, public engagement, and Tactical Urbanism. If you are a creative person who is passionate about creating better streets and better places, we’d love to hear from you!
Street Plans is an award winning urban planning, design, and research-advocacy firm with offices in Miami, New York City, and San Francisco. Our firm is known for advancing innovative practices to implement new ideas and concepts for a range of public, private, and non-profit groups. We seek to improve the balance of multi-modal transportation options and create successful public spaces as a means to creating more competitive and sustainable 21st century communities. We fulfill this mission by working at the intersection of transportation, land use, and urban design in cities and towns across the United States and abroad.
Through the publication of five open-source guides and a full-length book published by Island Press, we have become international stewards of the Tactical Urbanism movement. Our research and advocacy work has also given shape to other topics including form-based codes, open streets and public market design.
- Assist with design and implementation of Tactical Urbanism demonstration projects (typically 1-7 days in duration)
- Support our team in research, writing and graphics production for active transportation planning projects (such as citywide bike/walk master plans, corridor plans, etc.). Graphics include report documents, maps, info graphics, posters, flyers and more.
- Assist with design and execution of public meetings and workshops.
- Analyze and draw conclusions from data gathered during public engagement activities.
- Assist with the preparation of proposal and presentation materials.
- Assist with day-to-day office administrative tasks.
Desired Skills + Experience
The ideal candidate is someone who is seeking to build or expand their portfolio and gain tangible, real-world experience in Tactical Urbanism and active transportation planning. Applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- A passion for creating better streets and better places.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Leadership experience
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Adobe InDesign and Illustrator; AutoCAD, Sketchup, and other design software skills are a plus
- Experience with event planning, communications, research, visual art and/or graphic design
- Spanish language skills are also a plus!
The Fine Print
- This is a part-time position, requiring a regular schedule of 20-24 hours per week from January through June 2017, at an hourly rate of $15-20 depending on experience. We are flexible in terms of the exact days/hours worked, and we are happy to discuss arrangements to work around classes and/or other part-time work schedules.
- The Streets Plans San Francisco office is a small, satellite office run by Project Director Julie Flynn. Candidate would be expected to work at least one day from our office in San Francisco’s Mission District, but would ideally be available for three full days to build team momentum!
- Candidate will need to use his or her own laptop for this position. Access to Adobe Creative Suite 6 preferred, but not required.
- Interested candidates should provide: o A resume, cover letter, and sample of graphic/urban design work o A short description of your favorite street or public space – tell us why you love it in 250 words or less!
- Please send materials and any questions to Project Director Julie Flynn – firstname.lastname@example.org