Spring 2017 Web-Communications Student Job--Global Urban Humanities
Exciting opportunity to expand the web and social media presence of an interdisciplinary program linking environmental design fields with the humanities. The Global Urban Humanities Initiative (GUH) is seeking a creative and experienced website manager and social media coordinator with strong writing skills. The job also includes program coordination work, scheduling, and event planning. The position is 10-12 hours per week starting immediately through Spring 2018. The candidate must be available to work through the summer of 2017 (some work can be done remotely at that time). Work location is Wurster Hall, with some flexibility for off-site work and hours. Work-study students are welcomed to apply.
10-12 hours / week, $15-18 per hour DOE
Application deadline November 28, 2016, 5 p.m.
The web/communication coordinator’s responsibilities will include:
· Web site writing and administration. Maintains and routinely updates the GUH web site.
· Social media management: updates and manages GUH’s accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms.
· Online newsletter design, writing and distribution.
· Email list management & contact management.
· Graphic design: creates posters, postcards, fliers, signs, and other collateral.
· Editing video and audio for posting on web site (not required)
· Help with event planning including registration, venue and catering management
· Other programmatic and administrative tasks, such as scheduling meetings, as needed
Skills & Experience:
· Excellent writing skills, ideally with experience writing for web and newsletters.
· Excellent email communication skills including appropriate tone, accuracy, courtesy and persistence
· Experience using social media for organizational promotion
· Web management using content management system such as Expression Engine or Wordpress
· Basic knowledge of HTML
· Good graphic design sense and skills, knowledge of photo management
· Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
· Experience managing external communication using email lists such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, Vertical Response, or similar platforms
· Basic audio and video editing skills (desired)
· Detail-oriented with exceptional proofreading habits and problem-solving skills
· Experience in scheduling and event management
· Good people skills and ability to work independently
· Interest in cities, urban studies, humanities, new media helpful
The Global Urban Humanities Initiative is a joint venture of the UC Berkeley Arts & Humanities Division of the College of Letters & Science, and the College of Environmental Design. The initiative hosts symposia and offers graduate level coursework, including cross-disciplinary theory seminars, collaborative methods workshops, and urban research studios.
To apply for this position, explore our website at globalurbanhumanities.berkeley.edu and. Send cover letter as a PDF (required), resume/CV and PDFs or URLs of writing, graphic, and web design/management work to Susan Moffat at email@example.com. If possible, writing samples should include 50-300 word newsletter-type blurbs, announcements and articles (not fiction or academic papers). PLEASE PUT “WEB COORDINATOR” IN THE EMAIL SUBJECT LINE. Please state whether you will be available through spring 2018 and whether your work in summer 2017 is likely to be on-site or off-site. All attachment file names should start with your last name.